Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Practice of Trying New Things

So last June, I set out to try at least one new thing every week for a year and document it.

It's coming up on a year, and I was very faithful to record often several new things each week, up until February.

Yeah I stopped recording, but I haven't stopped trying new things. I passed the test.

I think that's what it was about; I wanted to test myself to make sure I didn't lose myself in a rut. The test may have been unecessary, but I have proved to myself that I do make it a habit of trying new food, changing up my routine, or just flat out doing something DIFFERENT.

I've included a smattering of my list and the editorial that ran in The Vista last summer. Enjoy!

1. Attended the Miss Oklahoma finals

2. Went rockclimbing

3. Put my first newspaper together as editor in chief

4. Spoke at a funeral

5. Started my blog

6. Learned to love bell peppers and hummus

7. Taught in kids' church

8. Attended my first OSU sporting event ;)

9. Tried calamari

10. And...listened to many new songs, watched many new movies, and managed to read a few new books :)

June 2011, The Vista

There are two types of people in this world: those that make lists and those that would be hard pressed to find a pen to start their list. But hey, it’s ok. We need both types to make the world go round.

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a list person. Always have been. The process of jotting down thoughts with those sexy bullet points or numbers draws me in again and again.  Whether it’s a practical to-do list, shopping list or the more ambitious summer goals or to-read list, trust me, I’ve made the list.

One list I’ve started recently and will continue throughout my senior year (maybe longer, who knows?) is each week, I’m going to try and/or do something new. I am looking forward to a year’s worth of new experiences to look over.

How cool will that be?

Here’s why I decided to set out on this quest, one in which I invite you all to join me.

I have found that it is far too easy when you are busy to fall into that proverbial rut. I find myself buried halfway into the semester and it has been weeks if not months since I’ve read a new book or downloaded a new app or certainly tried anything new to eat.

Ugh.

The brain uses challenges and “new things” like fuel to keep it healthy and sharp. I don’t know about you, but I want to keep my brain as in shape and ready for the long haul because I want to be one of those sharp-as-a-tack grandma types.

In writing this editorial, I came across a blog that talked about how neuroscientists are finding that providing the brain with new information actually helps with our time perception. Because new info takes longer to process, it can help with the sensation that the days and months fly out from beneath us.

It’s worth a shot.

Whether it’s as small as listening to songs you’ve never heard or trying new foods or as crazy as traveling to a new country, throw your brain a new (but safe!) curveball. And then write it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment