Sunday, April 22, 2012

God Knows When You Sigh


A little something I wrote in October of 2010.

God knows when you sigh…and when you cry.

He knows if it was a gut-wrenching sob over a loved one that was taken from you. He knows if they were tears of joy.

He sees also if it’s a heart that is tearing in two that produces silent tears that trickle slowly down your face. He knows the deep longings that echo with soundless voices in your spirit. Longings that you cannot yourself voice.

He sees your shoulders sag and your eyes gaze off in the distance even though you smile and put on the “right” face when you talk with people. Longings that no one else knows about.

Tears hidden from the world. He sees them all.

And he keeps track of them.

That speaks of an incredibly intimate God. I have a hard time opening up to people. Up to a certain point, I’m friendly and open, but once certain lines are crossed, I shut the door. It is hard to trust myself to other people. But God is already there, already “nearer than breathing, nearer than hands in feet." (from Streams in the Desert, May 29 entry) Wow! You can’t get much closer than that!

There is relief in knowing that God knows the content and extent of my longings and desires. It is wonderful to be known. Open up your heart today to the Shepherd, to your Lover- and be known fully.

“…for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.” Psalm 6:8
“O Lord, all my longing is before you; my sighing is not hidden from you.” Psalm 38:9
“For he knows the secrets of the heart.” Psalm 44:21
“You have kept count of my tossings; put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book?” Psalm 56:8
“Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him…” Psalm 62:8
“But truly God has listened; he has attended to the voice of my prayer.” Psalm 66:19
“For he satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things.” Psalm 107:9
“For I will satisfy the weary soul, and every languishing soul I will replenish.” Jeremiah 31:25

1 comment: