Tuesday, December 30, 2014

In the Beginning was The Word

"In the beginning was the Word, and the word was with God and the Word was God." John 1:1

The Word.

Out of all the ways John could have started his gospel, this is certainly one of the more unique ways. He passes over the typical genealogical or cultural stage setting and reaches back to the beginning, the Very Beginning, invoking a Genesis-type intro to the last of the Gospels.

The Word. The Word.

In the beginning was the Word.

What does that mean and why did John choose those words to open his beautiful and unique Gospel?

In the HCSB version of John 1:1, the footnote says "The Word (In the Greek: Logos) is a title for Jesus as the communication and the revealer of God the Father."

Communication and revealer. I love that. My spirit literally went "Aha!"

Sure I have memorized this scripture, but I don't think I've ever really let the gravity of these words saturate my soul. Jesus communicated and revealed to us who God is through His time here on earth, as the written word (The Bible) continues to do so across the centuries.

I don't remember a time where I wasn't surrounded by words. My parents and grandparents read to me constantly as a kid and I was reading on my own by the end of kindergarten. I have always had tons of books and my eyes hungrily search for words as I eat or do other activities. I like word-decorated items, word games, play on words and word humor.

Words are my JAM.

God is leading me into a season of life where (prayerfully) words are going to play a bigger part. I have found myself asking myself why writing is important to me or why it's a big deal at all. There are so many books, blogs and magazines out there already. How are more words going to even matter?

He then brought John 1:1 to my mind.

Words matter. Words have power. Jesus himself is the Word.

As a Christian, God has called me to use my words (His words) to communicate and reveal who Jesus is. That's it. That's my job. We all have this responsibility by being his witnesses, but for me, this specifically applies to writing.

It doesn't matter (really) what direction my writing takes, what does matter is that I walk in obedience to the calling He has placed in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment