Friday, June 12, 2015

Weekend Bookend: Children's Edition

As I mentioned in last week's post, I find a lot of gems among young adult authors. In the words of C.S. Lewis,“A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest.”
I heartily agree.
Below are some of my favorite books growing up. Enjoy!



I've read this book many times. It's about two best friends, very different from each other, growing up in New York City in the 60s. They go off to summer camp and naturally experience different things. This tests and forges a stronger friendship.



Hitty follows the doll of the same name and her first hundred years of existence. She changes owners many times, travels the country, gets lost in furniture for decades, and is reinvented multiple times. Very delightful story.



I was a weird child. I checked this book out from the library...uh, multiple times. I loved the wordplay and quirky pictures, even at a young age.



See above...this one was cute as well.



This and Mrs. Estes' other works are staples of elementary reading lists. Charming, slice of life stories are what I lean toward. While my tastes have expanded, there is a special place in my heart for these stories.

Of course I also devoured familiar series like "Little House on the Prairie," "The Boxcar Children," "Encyclopedia Brown," and the following series that was a staple of mine for many years...



I was a 90s kid with the same name as an American Girl. Yes, my childhood was golden.


What children's books are your favorites? I would love to see your comments below!


No comments:

Post a Comment